Our next Mobile Open Shop will be at Starlight, 2709 W Devon, on Sunday 10/23 from 12 – 2:30 pm. This will be like our standard Open Shop hours, but in a fun new location! Experienced volunteers will be there with tools to help you repair your bike.
Thanks to funding from the Young Leaders Fund of the Chicago Community Trust, we’re holding Mobile Open Shop events in community spaces around the city, bringing our Recyclery mechanics programs beyond our walls.
We’re absolutely delighted to be teaming up for this next event with Starlight, a warm community space packed with free engaging programming, dedicated to exploring the history and future of Black and South Asian solidarity. Let’s meet there and fix some bikes!
Full details HERE.
Our yearly fundraiser is Tailwind for Tools. This year we had a goal of raising $6,000 to help keep the shop running strong for the coming year. We are excited to announce that we met this goal!
Your donations go a long way in helping The Recyclery serve our community cyclists.
In spite of all of the difficulties the world has faced in the past year, we have been lucky enough to be able to continue to help our community members around Chicagoland.
Here are a few of this year’s highlights:
- A big December kid’s bike repair and donation campaign in the Howard Area
- Bike light and balaclava give-aways (with help from our friends at Bike Lane Uprising)
- Several mobile repair events in the community
- A summer Justice Ride with our friends at Family Matters
- A new FTWN-B specific shop time
- Reinstatement of public facing programs, including Open Shop and Repair Classes
This year has also come with an increase in expenses. The ongoing bike shortage has continued to drive up the cost of parts from our wholesalers. Additionally, we have increased our staff wages to make sure that they are being fairly compensated for their time and efforts.