Job Description: The Recyclery Collective is hiring a part-time bicycle mechanic to fix bicycles for sale. The mechanic will work 15-25 hrs per week with a semi-flexible schedule. Position starts at $10 per hour. Working with one or more collective members, the part-time mechanic will be responsible for:
- Evaluating bicycle donations for repair or scrapping
- Making necessary repairs to used (sometimes abused) bicycles in a timely fashion, ensuring they meet The Recyclery’s standards
- Helping to transport bike donations
- Reporting work to the Collective
- Maintaining records of bikes fixed and repairs made
- Maintaining cleanliness and organization of our shop and storage spaces
Schedule: This position will continue through September 2014. Hours are somewhat flexible, but the mechanic will need to work around our existing educational programs. Shop availability for staff mechanic is Mon 9-5, Tues 9-12, Wed 9-3, Thurs 9-3, Fri 9-5, subject to change.
Working with the Collective: The Recyclery is run by a Collective which meets twice a month to decide issues impacting the direction of the organization and operates using a consensus process. These meetings are unpaid, and while the part-time mechanic will not be required to attend, attendance is strongly encouraged.
- Minimum of one year’s mechanical experience (in bike shop or equivalent experience)
- Experience working on a wide range of bikes dating back to the 1970s
- Strong work ethic, ability to self-motivate, and a willingness to ask for assistance
- Interest in furthering the mission of The Recyclery and upholding our safe space guidelines
Additional Skills Preferred
-Valid drivers’ license and ability to drive vehicle with manual transmission
The Recyclery Collective is an equal opportunity employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear, sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, stand, walk, walk up and down stairs, lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
Please drop off resume and cover letter at our shop, located at 7628 N Paulina, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.