The Recyclery Collective: The Recyclery Collective is an educational non-profit bike shop that promotes sustainability by giving access to tools, skills and opportunities for collaboration. We envision a diverse, resilient neighborhood filled with knowledgeable, self-reliant cyclists. We value Community Collaboration, Social Justice, and Ecological Sustainability. We aim to give used bicycles new life and spread bicycle culture throughout our community.
Job Description: The Recyclery Collective is hiring a full-time, head bicycle mechanic to fix used bicycles to sell and to help manage the physical shop. The mechanic will work 40 hrs per week (negotiable) with a semi-flexible schedule at the Recyclery storefront in Rogers Park. Position starts at $15 per hour with benefits after 90 days. Working with one or more employee/collective members, the mechanic will be responsible for:
- Making necessary repairs to used (sometimes abused) bicycles in a timely fashion, ensuring they meet The Recyclery’s standards
- Sorting donated bicycles into appropriate Recyclery programs
- Maintaining records of bikes fixed and repairs made
- Helping to transport bike donations
- Maintaining cleanliness and organization of our shop and storage spaces
- Keeping accurate records of inventory
- Sorting part and accessory donations
- Collaborating with other staff to ensure all our programs thrive
- Reporting work to the Collective
Working with the Collective: The Recyclery is run by a Collective which meets twice a month to decide issues impacting the direction of the organization and operates using a consensus process. Staff are encouraged to join meetings and may be paid to participate when requested by the Collective. Staff members may be eligible to join the Collective after fulfilling certain membership requirements.
The Lead Mechanic must be willing to adapt to changing circumstances at The Recyclery, given COVID-19. Our shop model is in flux as we collectively modify our programs to ensure the safety of our staff and our community. The Lead Mechanic will consistently communicate and work with the Collective to ensure the safety of everyone at the shop, including themself.
- Minimum of one year’s mechanical experience (in bike shop or equivalent experience)
- Experience working on a wide range of bikes dating back to the 1970s
- Familiarity with bicycle component manufacturers, component compatibility, and period-appropriate repairs
- Ability to safely operate power tools, including bench grinder, angle grinder, blowtorch, air compressor, and others.
- Strong work ethic, ability to self-motivate, and a willingness to ask for assistance
- Interest in furthering the mission of The Recyclery, embodying our values, and upholding our safe space guidelines
- Commitment to cultivating and maintaining positive and productive relationships with our neighbors, clients, volunteers, and the greater Rogers Park community
Additional Skills Preferred
- Valid driver’s license and a driving record with no serious past offenses.
- Experience with the Lightspeed retail system, Google Business Suite, Ubuntu Linux, and standard office equipment
The Recyclery Collective is an equal opportunity employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, stand, walk, walk up and down stairs, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and lift 20 pounds overhead. The Recyclery encourages femme, trans, women, people of color, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply.
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Lead Mechanic Application” in the subject line, NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE